This morning, I took stock of all my email addresses. I saw my sister post that she had 4 accounts linked to her GMail, and I thought, “Hm? How many do *I *have?”
I got slightly panicky when I realized that I had to make a list, since I hadn’t kept a record of them all.
Why do I have so many email addresses?
- Well, there’s one for money stuff. If you don’t have a separate email address for anyone who gives you money or takes from you money, I strongly encourage you to get one right away. It’s a very very simple thing to set up – and a simple way to protect yourself.
- Then there’s my Battle.Net email address. I made a separate one specifically for this, so that I could give the address to people I wanted to share my RealID with – this is a World of Warcraft thing – simply put it’s a separate one for World of Warcraft. Again, a simple way to get a bit of security.
- There’s strumpet101 – which is my ‘online persona’ account. This used to be the email address I used for absolutely everything, but, lately, as I have been more and more ‘out there’ in the Meta, I have started separating things out from there.
- There’s StrumpetsLife, which is the one I use on Strumpet’s Voice blog. Not sure why. It was a slip of the tongue while setting up my GoGo Daddy site. I’m sure it can be fixed, but I’m not sure I can be bothered.
- There are others, including a photography one, for more private reasons.
Then, today, I decided that it’s really time to stop embarrassing my children. When they tell people their mother’s email address, they shouldn’t have to say strumpet. So, I made a new one, to go with my ‘mom’ hat. And probably for some other places too.
The question is: Where is the line between Strumpet101 and my ‘real’ self? Who wants which email address? I think if I send out a ‘change of address’ notice to my family and school friends, it will just cause mass confusion. I will just have to try to keep the line as clear as possible – knowing that it will be blurry as hell.